Welcome to Academic Advising!
Academic advising is one of the most critical components of your success. We're here to support and encourage you in your educational journey. We want to help you develop meaningful educational and career plans that meet your life goals while studying at WCC.
Our advisors offer advising appointments as well as drop-in assistance.
Advising appointments allow you and your advisor the opportunity to prepare in advance to discuss topics such as financial aid appeals, transferring options and overall degree planning. Appointments are typically 30 minutes and are the preferred way to receive assistance from an advisor.
Drop-in advising is used for quick questions such as adding, dropping or withdrawing from a class or if you have issues with a current course. For drop-in advising, you would see the first available advisor for about 10-15 minutes.
Meet With Your Advisor
Advising sessions are offered in-person, over the phone or online video (Zoom). You can also email email@example.com or dial 734-677-5102 for additional assistance.
Schedule a Phone, Zoom or In-Person Appointment
Book an appointment to meet with your advisor for topics such as creating your Degree Works academic plan, selecting your classes, transfer or career planning, completing a financial aid appeal and more. Your advisor is here to help you. Make sure to plan in advance and allow up to five business days for an available appointment. As with virtual drop-in advising, please be safe and do not plan to attend your advising meeting while driving.
Walk-In Drop-in Advising
Limited walk-in drop-in advising is available on-campus for quick, general questions.
Monday-Thursday | 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday | 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
During our drop-in advising you will be to meet individually with an advisor who will guide you through your academic requirements.
Drop-in advising is conducted in person, over the phone or in a Zoom video conference. It is highly recommended that you have a computer or tablet with a camera, microphone and a reliable internet connection. Please be in a quiet and safe location for advising. You can also speak with an advisor over the phone by calling 734-677-5102.
Be safe, please do not conduct your advising meeting while driving.
Monday-Thursday | 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday | 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Please use your WCC email address to sign in for drop-in advising.
Prepare for Your Advising Session
You've got questions? Your advisor can help you answer them! To maximize your advising appointment or drop-in experience, we recommend the following:
- Be in front of a computer. Your advisor will show you how to find your classes, where to view your Degree Works and much more.
- We understand life happens, but try to be in a quiet location so that you and your advisor will be able to hear one another.
- Haven't attended orientation? We recommend all students complete orientation prior to meeting with your advisor so that you have the most information possible going into your meeting.
- Complete your placement testing or submit documentation for placement. Your advisor will make course recommendations based on your placement information.
- Likewise, if you have college credit to transfer to WCC please make sure the College has received and evaluated your transcripts.
- Schedule early! Advisors want to make sure all of our students have the necessary information and support. Please note that sometimes appointments can take a few days to schedule - and that's ok. Our advisors are here for you and we will get you connected.
Using Financial Aid?
Did you know, your enrollment impacts your financial aid eligibility? Federal Regulations require you to be in an eligible program of study to receive federal financial aid. The amount of financial aid is determined by the courses you take that are part of your program.
Know what you want to achieve? Meet with your academic advisor to complete a DegreeWorks academic plan. This process involves taking all of the courses required to graduate under your chosen program and mapping them out, semester by semester, in an order that paves the way to your success.
Check your progress with Degree Works!
Not sure what you want to study? Learn about your options and what careers may be a good choice for you. Explore careers and the academic paths that lead to them.
Find the right fit for your interests and aptitude:
- Check out the Career Tool on your own in your MyWCC
- Meet with an advisor to work through a career assessment
Connect With Your Success Team
You have a success team here at WCC who has your back. You are central to your team and will work with your success coach, academic advisor, faculty mentor, librarian and faculty tutor to design an experience that’s unique to you.
Your Advisor will help you:
- Develop skills and knowledge to make decisions about your education
- Understand degree requirements, career paths and university transfer pathways
- Map out your academic plan in Degree Works
- Make course selections based on your goals
Your Success Coach will help you:
- Stay focused on goal-setting, academic success skill-building
- Connect with and find the right resources for your needs at WCC
- Form high-quality relationships through clubs and student organizations
- Stay on course by working as your advocate and mentor